“The business of the Ballastone is one of relationships”
Escape to romantic Savannah at Ballastone Inn, the historic district’s celebrated, luxurious Savannah BOUTIQUE INN.
At affordable rates, rejuvenate with an enchanting Savannah weekend to Ballastone and enjoy Savannah’s five star rated luxury Inn. Our Savannah BOUTIQUE INN is chosen year after year as Savannah’s Most Romantic Inn by those with discriminating taste.
Getaway to the finest historic Savannah hotel lodging, 16 luxuriously appointed guest rooms, Victorian furnishings, elevator, modern amenities, elegant full southern breakfasts served in the mansion or in the lovely courtyard garden, high tea with delectable homemade delights, exclusive hotel bar, private courtyard garden, helpful staff and unparalleled privacy. Whether visiting Historic Savannah and the Georgia Coast for history, a romantic getaway, intimate wedding, or a BOUTIQUE INN escape, Ballastone Inn, Savannah’s historic, romantic luxury hotel awaits you.
Conveniently located in the center of Savannah’s Historic District, our Savannah GA BOUTIQUE INN is ideally situated within walking distance to shops, restaurants and all of the treasures that this destination city offers
History of the Inn
In recognition of this small historic hotel’s significance in Savannah and Georgia history, Ballastone Inn has been awarded two commemorative plaques, one from the Historic Savannah Foundation and one from the National Trust. Historically, a prominent Savannah mansion since 1838
The land where this Savannah luxury hotel is situated formed part of the southern boundary of the original settlement founded by General James E. Oglethorpe in the fall of 1733. It had been given by grant to Jeremiah Papot, a vinedresser, in August of that year. The land was eventually sold to George Anderson, a local merchant. His son Major George W. Anderson, who owned the Lebanon Plantation, a large property some 17 miles south of Savannah, inherited the home “now this historic hotel” upon his father’s death in 1874 and used it as a townhouse. Major Anderson was the commanding officer at Fort McAllister when it fell to General Sherman in 1864.
In 1883, Captain Henry Blun, who had emigrated from Germany in 1853, arriving in Savannah the following year, purchased the building. Captain Blun, who joined the Confederate Army in 1861, served at Fort Pulaski and with the forces on Tybee and Wilmington Islands.After the war ended, Captain Blun bought the residence at 14 East Oglethorpe and retained William Gibbons Preston, a prominent Boston architect, to enlarge the house to its present size. Ranked as one of the leading architects of the second half of the 19th century, Preston also built the Old DeSoto in Savannah, the Chatham County Courthouse and the Savannah Cotton Exchange Building, and he rebuilt the Independent Presbyterian Church after it burned in 1889. The Blun family continued to live on Oglethorpe until 1910, two years prior to the Captain’s death.
Once it passed out of the family’s hand, the Oglethorpe residence, now known as the Lester House, was turned into a boarding house. By the late 1920s, it had changed from a boarding house to a well-known bordello. Its fame is attributable in part to the many police raids on the establishment that were duly recorded in the Savannah News
The building recaptured its former respectability in 1940 when it was converted in 18 modern apartments to house “indispensable immigrant war workers,” as the new tenants were described in the news of that day. At the close of World War II, the building became the York Apartments and began a slow deterioration during the late 40′s and 50′s, which mirrored the decline of the surrounding neighborhood.
In April of 1969, the Girl Scouts of America purchased the property and refurbished the building’s lower level for use as administrative offices.
In 1980, the old building was sold to private owners and was converted into a modern bed-and-breakfast inn, one of the first in the famed historic district and the precursor of the historic Savannah Hotel and comfort. It is the first Savannah BOUTIQUE INN Inn, not just another Savannah hotel. The romantic hotel is furnished with antiques and authentic reproductions, each room is decorated with designer fabrics. To compliment the original architectural motifs of the Inn, Scalamandre wallcoverings and Historic Savannah Colors were tailored by renowned Savannah artist, Ann Osteen. In February of 1997, the luxury historic Savannah hotel inn underwent extensive restorations and refurbishment to recreate its original antebellum glory. The Ballastone was awarded the coveted 4 diamond, 4 star designation.
In June 2002, Jennifer Salandi purchased the Ballastone. In the next few years accolades began to adorn this famous boutique hotel, Savannah’s favorite. Featured in a Good Morning America segment as one of the finest inns in America today and in Caviar Affair Magazine as “the most sought-after lodging in a city brimming with great places to stay.” The Savannah BOUTIQUE INN inn is also one of six distinguished properties showcased on Turner South’s famous getaways. Again in 2012 our Savannah boutique hotel mansion inn was honored by readers of ConnectSavannah as the “Best Bed & Breakfast.” Another mention in AMEX DEPARTURES magazine featured the romantic Ballastone Inn boutique hotel in Hot Spots of Savannah. Accolades continue to pour in and Ballastone Inn continues to be one of the stars of Savannah, GA USA.
TAKE A VIRTUAL TOUR
Escape to romantic Savannah in the historic district’s most celebrated, luxurious inn.
Rejuvenate with an enchanting Savannah weekend to Ballastone, built in 1838 and enjoy Savannah’s five star rated luxury Inn. Ballastone is chosen year after year as Savannah’s most distinguished Inn by those with discriminating taste. Antique bar with extended hours with great selection of wine, beer, champagne and soda. Beautiful courtyard to relax your day, stay awhile. Join us everyday at 4pm for silver service tea with delicacies.